Thursday, October 27, 2011

A "prophecy" (grin) from the Beachbum...

I had trouble falling asleep tonight; read for a couple of hours, and then jumped online. Once on the internet, I thought I would check in on some sites that I have not looked in on for sometime. During my 'surfing', one thread in particular caught my eye, Tim Kimberly's, "Top Ten Theologians: #4 - Athanasius " (LINK). The post, for a blog contribution, is pretty good, though it has some important faults (hope to publish a post here at AF to share my thoughts on those deficiencies; perhaps tomorrow, but more likely Friday, the Lord willing).

By 'clicking' on the Tim Kimberly link, I found that the previous theologians in his top ten were: #5 - Jonathan Edwards; #6 - Thomas Aquinas; #7 - C.S. Lewis; #8 - Anselm; # 9 - Karl Barth; and # 10 - Irenaeus.

And now, the Beachbum's "prophecy": I predict that 2 of the next 3 theologians on his list will include: St. Augustine, and John Calvin.

As for the third, I suspect it will be one in the Reformed tradition...


Grace and peace,

David

2 comments:

Ken said...

He has now put Calvin as the 3rd greatest theologian.

Maybe Augustine as second and Paul as # 1, would be my guess.

Did he name Francis Turretin?

David Waltz said...

Hello Ken,

You wrote:

==He has now put Calvin as the 3rd greatest theologian.

Maybe Augustine as second and Paul as # 1, would be my guess.==

Me: It did not cross my mind that St. Paul might be one of the theologians in his top ten. I have always seen theology as a discipline which reflects on Scripture (OT and NT), as such, St. Paul would not be on my 'list'.

==Did he name Francis Turretin?==

Me: Guessed you missed what I wrote in my opening post:

==...I found that the previous theologians in his top ten were: #5 - Jonathan Edwards; #6 - Thomas Aquinas; #7 - C.S. Lewis; #8 - Anselm; # 9 - Karl Barth; and # 10 - Irenaeus.==

I am now beginning to think that maybe Martin Luther will be either #1 or #2 (depending on where he places Augustine).


Grace and peace,

David